Grade 6/7 Girls Basketball
Purple Pride Invitational
Gr. 6/7 Girls Basketball
Friday, January 24, 2020
6 Team Tournament
1 Day, 3 Games + Skills Competition
Concession Available (cash only)
$200 Entry Fee payable to Barnwell School
Do not leave valuables in the change rooms and please bring your own warm-up balls.
|Pool A||Magrath||RI Baker||Gershaw||Wins / Place|
|Pool B||Barnwell||ICS||St. Mary's||Wins / Place|
|6:00||Team Skills Competition||Team Skills Competition|
|6:50||3rd in A||3rd in B|
|7:40||2nd in A||2nd in B|
|8:30||1st in A||1st in B|
Any unruly parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle or family friend who is asked to exit the gym due to their behaviour, will do so WITH the child that they are there "supporting."
- NO grade 9s allowed and strong grade 8s are discouraged (this is a lower level tournament)
- Modified FT line (2 ft. shorter)
- Pressing is allowed, but it must be called off if you have a 15 point lead
- Round robin format – cross over games to follow
- 18 minutes running halves (the only time the clock can be stopped is by a timeout)
- Time will stop in the final minute of the game if it is within 10 points
- Two 1 minute timeouts per game
- 5 minute warm-up (please be early in case we are ahead of schedule)
- Half times are 3 minutes long
- Basketballs: size 6 will be used
- On and after the seventh team foul two shots will be awarded, per half
- If overtime is needed, the first team to score 3 points wins
- Ties in the Round Robin will be broken 1st by head to head record, 2nd by total points allowed, and 3rd by total points scored
Skills Competition Overview
The Team Skills Competition will require 12 of your players for 3 different events (most teams do not have 12 players so some will have to compete twice).
*No player can compete more than once for your team unless you have fewer than 12 players. In that case a player may have to compete twice, but NOT three times.
*If you have more than 12 players, coaches will have to choose who to sit out.
Coaches need to choose players for the following events:
1) 8 players to compete in the full court cone dribbling/lay up challenge
2) 3 shooters to compete in a team hot-shot shooting challenge
3) 1 shooter to compete in a free throw game we call “Five in the Bucket”
Full Court Cone Dribbling/Lay Up Challenge
Two teams will face off head to head in a relay type event. The first player from each team must dribble through the cones to the other end of the court, turn around and speed dribble back to their basket where they are to make a lay up. If they miss, they must rebound their ball and keep shooting until they make it. Once the basket is made the first player passes the ball to the second player in the line. The drill is repeated until the 8th player has made their basket. Times will be kept and the top 2 teams will move on to a head to head championship.
Five in the Bucket
Each team will be represented by 1 free throw shooter. The shooters from each team ALL line up at the free throw line. The first player shoots and if he makes it there is “1 in the bucket”. If the second player makes his shot there are now “two in the bucket”. If the third player misses his shot then he collects all of the points that are in the bucket (in this case 2 points). YOU DO NOT WANT POINTS. After you shoot your shot you go to the back of the line and the game continues. If the player in front of you misses his shot then the next shooter basically has a free shot since there would then be “zero in the bucket”. When a player has collected 5 total points they are out. The last player standing wins!
Team Hot Shot Challenge
Each team is allowed 3 shooters, 3 balls, and 3 rebounders. Only the 3 shooters count as participants in this event. The rebounders can be anyone on your team.
There are 3 spots on the floor:
1-3pt from the 45 (Boys only, girls will move in 3 feet and NOT shoot 3s)
Shooters have 1 minute to make as many shots as they can. Each made basket is worth 1 point. 2 teams participate at the same time at the opposite ends of the court. Scores will be kept and the top 2 teams will move on to a head to head championship.